There is something indescribably wonderful about a roadtrip on a sunny Saturday afternoon. There are countless hours to spend rediscovering songs from CDs you forgot you owned, reflecting on life and it’s unfolding directions, and getting lost – on purpose. I have always been a fan of the roadtrip – I love both trips with friends, and trips alone… each has it’s own perks. I was unsure of how long I would be able to drive yesterday because of my recent back surgery, but I planned for the day with the intention that I could go as long and as far as I wanted. No destination. No itinerary. Just me, the car, and my camera. I also was lucky enough to come across this incredible statue yard in Chilliwack along the highway – the people were super friendly about letting me take some pictures, which was awesome.
Here are some noteable highlights:
- Number of times I narrowly missed getting pulled over: 3
- Blueberry cheesecake blizzards consumed for lunch: 3/4 of a small (then I wanted to puke)
- Statue yards discovered: 1
- Cute dogs eating cattle skulls: 1
- Semi-angry people approaching me about taking pictures: 1 (a bonus of going into the middle of nowhere)
- Photos taken: 89
- Deer hanging out along the way: 5
- Terrible songs enjoyed: too many to count
- Vintage $3 cameras bought: 1 (although I considered a couple more)
- Barefoot driving time: 9 hours
- Kilometers travelled: approximately 650
- Sunburn incurred: 1/2 of my face and chest. Half. LAME.
- Number of times I listened to Michael Penn’s “No Myth (aka Romeo in Black Jeans)”: 3 (YES!)
- Number of times I listened to the Pixies to make up for the above bad (awesome) music choice: 2
- Fun time had by all (me): YES!
Overall it was a super fantastic time. I’m glad I got some time with just me and the open road. I can pull over at anytime and take photos of anything I want. I can sing at shrill volumes to horrible songs without embarrassment. I can drive as fast or as slow as I choose (being careful of speedtraps along the way, of course – the cops were out in full force this long weekend!). I feel like it refueled my desire to get out there and have more photo adventures… and take advantage of this car while I have it (another 4 weeks – yeow!)
I can’t wait to go out again!!